Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Heading towards homeless

Update Dec 1st: Thankfully situation is in reprieve as was approved for a program for veterans to prevent eviction from Volunteers of America Southeast, which is a great organization. (If have read this post before, may have noticed had them mixed up with Southwest before, but have corrected now.) Have helped me out tremendously. So have time now, but still have to get a steady income as will just help out for a bit. Leaving post up as is informative and I re-read myself to help my focus.

Update 7:20 pm: Soon after writing this post this morning, reached out to some family where had been distancing, and got a bit of help. So no longer worried about losing electricity. While the gist of situation remains the same. Family can only help, so much. Do feel better though and feel like post serves a good purpose. Main thing is must get steady income and am working hard towards that goal, relying on LOTS of community resources thankfully available. And wish to emphasize DO appreciate that very much! Paying the rent is still a big deal, so title (adjusted a bit) still applies.

----------------------------------

In an apartment in Macon, GA, USA now with electricity which will soon be gone. Is just days away, as know Georgia Power WILL cut off electricity when the bill goes overdue. But how did I get here?

Like now to trace back to October 2010 when found out was being laid off, after finally putting my photo on the web. One of small batch of same photos tend to use for profile pictures. Wondering if those photos messed me up or not. Just know have not found a job just on my own since. Was briefly placed by state of Georgia Vocational Rehab into a position at Helms Career Center here in Macon. How did I end up with them, where in Georgia means state considers me disabled?

Well that's a story. So yeah, laid off in San Francisco with a great package too by the way from large insurance company. And maybe felt yeah was related to web activity, so cleaned up a lot of web postings and focused. Thought maybe best option was to figure out how to make all this activity out here pay. And also had those web analytics! Showing visitors from around the world! Would ask myself repeatedly, am I famous? Answer always gave myself, was no.

Back then was when came up with Core Middle Party. Kind of vaguely wondering if maybe could lead to something, which it has not. And as money ran out, like here now, and desperation began to set in, realized had to leave San Francisco, so moved back to where I grew up, Tifton, GA.

Stayed with my Mom in a volatile situation with my abusive stepfather who was abusing alcohol. We all were. Up to some night I don't even remember, and woke up with scratches, apparently after a fight with my stepfather I do not remember. I quit drinking then, back July 2013. Haven't missed it. He left, abandoning my mother. He would return eventually though, after I left to go into a rehabilitation program for homeless vets at Carl Vinson VA Medical Center. Would end up going through it, twice.

I don't think they knew what to make of me. And by then I was not sure either. Kept insisting the web had something to do with things, which never went over well. Like they wanted me trying to work for the US Government. I was like, with my Twitter account? No way. I'm way too critical of the US Government, and other governments, or just about anything that crosses my mind.

Relish my freedom of speech! And also realize impacts potential employment. Confounds me how often have tried to explain to federal and state employees, trying to convince me to try and work for government. Seems to never quite register. Befuddles me much.

After leaving vet homeless program at Carl Vinson first time, ended up with my father, who was then a widower. My stepmother had died of cancer before my rehab stint. And kind of thought was helping him by staying, but also was spending most of my time on the web. Hadn't worked then since November 2010. Was relying on food stamps for my food. Spending so much time, out here, on the web. Certain had to make it pay. If could only figure it out. Still haven't figured it out though.

At some point ended up in therapy. I wanted cognitive therapy and understood family was worried. The therapist recommended at some point I contact a representative of Georgia Vocational Rehab, to help me get a job, she said. State agency requested my medical file with her reports which went to a medical review board, and state determined I was disabled for mental reasons.

My father remarried and reached a point where he ordered his new wife to call the police on me, after an intervention they called it, when I'd been ordered to simply leave the house NOW. My father tried to throw me out on a dime, saying could stay with my older brother, who lives in public housing, where could only stay for two weeks. I said no, and signed up for rehab again at Carl Vinson.

My father and stepmother wrote a letter to begin eviction procedures after police informed they could not just throw me out that way. Received it certified mail, in the house where we were now avoiding each other. And I ended up at Carl Vinson, again. Which was nice but now more unsure what to do, and had no clue at end of program when a program called VOA offered a lifeline with a program which would put me in an apartment. Lots of programs and appreciated, was so great getting a place to stay again. Apartment on verge of losing now.

They pay for rent and utilities for some months while you get your life back together. Have struggled with that last. Like mentioned Georgia Vocational Rehab placed me with Helms Career Center, which is part of Goodwill, for a bit. But that...such a frustrating story there. It SHOULD have worked out. I ended up quitting rather than having, an angry event lets say with co-workers who I know were mistreating me. But work for Goodwill, right? Goodwill actual employees must be golden, right? Who listens to the mentally ill vet? Who believes him? So left, with a pause for a lecture at the door for concerned staff about how important their work is for the community. Most they ever listened to me really, only at the end.

And found myself, yeah, working harder at trying to make the web pay. Now am just begging. Hey, want to help a vet who is going by the rules, seeking help, and desperate anyway, on verge of homeless? How about give to Volunteers of America Southeast? Their program is how have this apartment. Their website: voasoutheast.org

Contacted them and they may be able to help. Have NOT talked to them about this blog, but figure, why not give the link? If do donate, maybe could say on my behalf? Or just do it for vets in general. Seems to be a good organization. Helped me much. May help me more.

What happened to federal and state help? Well VA has offered advice, on who to contact for help! For real, you end up with a person who am sure wants to help you, listing local community resources, of which you may already be aware. Went to DFACS and signed up for rental help, and was told they would call. No call so far. That just defies reason to me. Is one thing that maybe they do not have funds or cannot help, but to have you fill out a form, and be waiting for a call that just does not arrive? Has been over 2 weeks now.

Update Dec 14: Got the call today, and was quite polite! Was a nice person and am sure they have huge lists of people to call. So no way would have been rude and told about problem at least temporarily being resolved. Also learned you have to be a month behind anyway before they can help you. So even if they had called immediately would have been told couldn't help me until this month.

Update February 16, 2018: Am feeling much better about help from various agencies. And yes, still working on things! But as long as there is progress. Still a work in progress with situation.

Actually feels good to disclose so much, and will freely edit this page as relevant information shifts what I should state here. So much on my mind for years, and yeah, situation desperate now, and where am I? On the web yet again, as if somehow will work out this time. Web is where so much happens now.

Left the US military in 1996 after 5 years of active duty, working in medical centers, so saw no combat. Was honorably discharged. Didn't even figure on ever needing VA help.


James Harris

No comments: